The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging are customized training courses that offer a comprehensive introduction to sustainability considerations that apply to the entire packaging life cycle: sourcing, design, recovery, and beyond.
Led by the SPC staff, these tailored sessions present an opportunity to bring a company’s entire staff (from packaging, marketing, management, to sustainability) up to a common level of understanding about how sustainability relates to the packaging operations.
Courses are available to both SPC and non-SPC member companies. Discounts are available for SPC members. See pricing below for details.
The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging participants will learn about:
The product/packaging system
Avoiding product waste
Making sustainability a part of your brand
You’re asking all the wrong questions
Design for Recovery
The psychology of recycling
Fit the packaging into the infrastructure or change the infrastructure
What does recyclable even mean?
What does compostable even mean?
Optimize the Design
Avoiding damage in transit
Product to packaging ratio
Everything is grey (LCA)
Material flows and material sheds
Toxicity is relative and contextual
Risk management (precautionary principle)
Market dynamics of recycled materials
The story of certification
PLUS COMPANIES WILL BE ABLE TO SELECT 3 OPTIONAL MODULES FOR THE AFTERNOON SESSION FROM THE FOLLOWING:
Packaging Material Health: Mitigating impact throughout the life cycle
- Chronic concerns: PVC, BPA, heavy metals, and mineral oil
- Next generation innovations and nanotechnology
- Precautionary principle and policy considerations
Bioplastics: A family of different materials
- Bioplastics myth-busting
- Sourcing and recovery considerations
Sourcing Fiber: Considerations and Certification
- Key considerations domestically and abroad
- Sourcing and supply chain certifications
- Recovered fiber and recycled feedstock
The Food Waste-Packaging Nexus: The role of compostable packaging in food waste prevention
- Leveraging ReFed to explore the scale
- Compostable packaging as a vehicle for diversion
- Water-soluble, edible, and reusable alternatives
Packaging Forecasting: Exploring trends and crafting sustainability goals
- Examining industry leaders and boundary-breakers
- A new era of intelligent and dynamic packaging
- Establishing and reaching goals through incremental and transformative change
About the Course
The Essentials of Sustainable Packaging curriculum sessions have been attended by hundreds of professionals in the U.S. and Canada since 2008. The course has over 800 alumni from leading companies, government agencies, non-profit organizations and educational institutions.
$12,500 + Travel Expenses for two instructors for SPC Member Companies
$15,000 + Travel Expenses for two instructors for Non-Member Companies
Schedule a course today
Email Barbara Fowler at email@example.com