Foodservice Packaging - current focus on Compostable Packaging
Interested in learning more about this group?
|please contact GreenBlue's staff lead for this group Anne Bedarf
SPC Industry Leadership Committee on Foodservice Packaging - current focus on Compostable Packaging
- Betsy Dorn, Reclay StewardEdge, Inc.
- Catherine Goodall, Resource Recycling Systems
- Executive Committee Liaison: Amy Duquette, Havi Global Solutions
- Investigate the sustainability considerations that are specific to foodservice packaging
- Identify gaps between existing initiatives where the development of new knowledge is needed
- Generate complementary efforts to other organizations' work on post-consumer foodservice packaging recovery, including composting and recycling.
Scope:Efforts to make foodservice packaging more sustainable are often challenged by design implications as well as both assumptions and realities related to recycling and composting. This group exists to share knowledge, identify best practices, and develop solutions.
In 2014 and 2015, the ILC researched and discussed access to recycling for foodservice packaging (resulting in a recommendation to the SPC's Availability of Recycling Study); coatings on foodservice packaging, and design considerations.
In 2016, the ILC is focused on compostable packaging, to include two main projects:
- Developing the How2Compost Label, complementary to the How2Recycle Label Program.
- Defining the Value of Compostable Packaging.