COMPASS – Comparative Packaging Assessment
What is COMPASS?
COMPASS (Comparative Packaging Assessment) is an online
streamlined life cycle assessment (LCA) solution tailored for packaging design
evaluations. COMPASS puts the power of LCA in the hands of design professionals
so that key environmental performance criteria can be easily incorporated into
the concept development and material selection steps.
COMPASS provides consistently modeled data sets for USA, Canada
and Europe tailored for materials and processes used for packaging to allow
reliable apples to apples comparisons of multiple scenarios. In addition,
regionalized solid waste modeling provides a waste profile of each scenario to
help understand the end of life (EoL) implications of packaging designs.
How can COMPASS enable the design process
- Quick what-if scenario playing to get guidance on which option works best for your company
- Side by side comparison of up to four alternatives simultaneously
- Benchmark environmental profile of existing portfolio
- Generate life cycle impact data for key metrics
- Understand the solid waste profile of a proposed package prior to market entry
- Track changes and communicate with stakeholders and B2B reporting
COMPASS provides information on:
Life Cycle MetricsCONSUMPTION METRICS
- Fossil Fuel
- Biotic Resource
- Greenhouse Gas
- Clean Production: Human Impacts
- Clean Production: Aquatic Toxicity
- Recycled vs. Virgin Content
- Percent of Source Certified Material
- Solid Waste
Life Cycle Phases
- Material Manufacture
- End of Life
| || |
Why choose COMPASS?
COMPASS was developed via a collaborative process that was informed by industry needs assessment, input from packaging experts, LCA experts, academia, and the U.S. EPA. COMPASS data are verified by third party and by prominent brand owner companies. See testimonials
from some of the companies that use COMPASS.