SPC Membership Infographic
As a membership group, the Sustainable Packaging Coalition brings together businesses, educational institutions, and government agencies to collectively broaden the understanding of packaging sustainability and develop meaningful improvements for packaging solutions.
Since 2004, we’ve delivered results-oriented projects and cutting-edge education that have established the coalition as the leading voice on packaging sustainability.
The SPC membership includes approx. 200 leadership companies in the marketplace and represents diverse perspectives across the packaging supply chain. See membership list →
SPC membership helps companies meet their sustainability goals for packaging through the following benefits:
- Opportunities to introduce new project ideas, contribute to resources and research projects, and form or participate in member-led working groups on topics of interest
- Free, unlimited access to our published materials, technical guides, and reports
- Discounts to COMPASS software, the How2Recycle Label, and Essentials of Sustainable Packaging trainings
- Complimentary attendance to annual SPC meetings
- Exclusive monthly webinars on cutting-edge sustainability topics
- Networking and collaboration opportunities with other leadership companies in the coalition
Don’t take our word for it. Ask our members.
The Nine Founding Members of the SPC
- Priority Metrics
- Aveda/The Estée Lauder Companies
- Cargill Dow LLC (now NatureWorks)
- The Dow Chemical Company
- EvCo Research
- MeadWestvaco (now MWV)
- Starbucks Coffee Company
Become a Member
Join the packaging industry’s leading companies to become one of our members.
Membership in the SPC is available to companies, government agencies, and academic institutions that comply with the following:
- Demonstrates a substantial interest in the packaging industry and is directly involved in the manufacture, use or recovery of packaging
- Completes an online membership application, including a statement of interest
- Acknowledges the principles embodied in the vision and mission statements of the SPC and agrees in writing to act in conformance with and support both
- Agrees to abide by the membership guidelines and antitrust guidelines
- Stays current in membership due to SPC
- Is approved for membership by GreenBlue, with advice from the EC, based upon the foregoing compliance requirements
At this time, we are not accepting applications from business leagues/associations or non-governmental organization/nonprofits. We recognize that associations and NGOs are an important resource and represent significant interests in sustainable packaging. We are interested in maintaining relationships broader than those provided by our current charter, and encourage your participation in our events and project work.
Please contact us for additional information on the history, organizational structure, member benefits, and policies of the SPC.
SPC membership dues are progressive and based on annual revenues per the scale below.
- Revenues exceeding $1 billion - $12,500
- Revenues ranging from $10 million to $1 billion - $6,600
- Revenues less than $10 million - $2,750
Dues are determined by company or
organization's last annual revenue or operating budget (gross money
collections for goods and services before deducting taxes, expenses or
For corporations in the top corporate
membership level, a portion of annual dues is considered a
tax-deductible charitable contribution to GreenBlue. GreenBlue will send
the tax-deductible acknowledgment at the end of the calendar year.
Government Agencies / Academic Institutions:
- *Traditional Membership - $1,000
- **Affiliate Membership - $0
* The Government/Academic Traditional Membership level is available to all government agencies and educational institutions. It includes one complimentary registration to each SPC conference as well as discounted rates on other SPC offerings.
** The Affiliate Membership level is only available for local, state, and regional government agencies as well as educational institutions. It does not include any complimentary conference registrations.